web space | website hosting | Business WebSite Hosting | Free Website Submission | shopping cart | php hosting
BRYNCOCH BOWLS CLUB
25 YEARS OF BOWLING
2014 IS OUR 25th ANNIVERSARY
Updated November 10 2014
IF YOU ARE ON TOUR AND WOULD LIKE TO PLAY
BRYNCOCH PLEASE EMAIL---->
Would you like to join Bryncoch Bowls Club?
Beginners or established players are welcome.
Just press the email link and get in touch.
IS IT BOWLING WEATHER IN SOUTH WALES
BRYNCOCH BOWLS CLUB HOME GREEN AT LLANDARCY, SKEWEN, NEATH
Founder Members of Bryncoch Bowls
Club
Ron
Haley
Ron Michael
1926 to 2012
John Thomas
1937 to 1997
Len Amphlett
Walter mayers
Welcome to the Bryncoch
Bowls Club web pages. We
hope to update the pages often
during the summer months when
we are playing. Below are the
badges of our club and an
introduction to how we started
and when, written by one of our
founder members the late Ron
Michael
Bryncoch Bowls Club was started from an idea by Ron Michael and John Thomas in 1988. (Sadly
John Thomas Died in 1997 aged 60). Len Amphlett was also one of the first to become involved
with the club and it was his enthusiasm to start the bowls club along with Ron and John that it finally
got off the ground. They placed posters around the village to see what kind of interest there was for
the start up of such a club. The first meeting held was at the Lamb & Flag 12 people turned up so it
was an encouraging turn out. It was decided to go ahead with the idea. The question was where to
play. Neath Council offered greens at Dyfed Road Pontyrhdfen or Pontadawe. It was suggested by
Ron Haley that we contact B.P to see if we could share the Green at Llandarcy, B.P Llandarcy
Bowls club asked us to a meeting where they said they were willing to share the green with
Bryncoch. As this was a private green we applied to join the West Wales Private Greens League.
And was accepted in 1989.In the summer of 1989, now with a membership of around 24 we
played friendlies. In 1990 we played in the league for the first time. Now we had to decide what
badge would best represent the club. The first idea put forward by Walter Mayers, the Red Admiral
butterfly. He knew that Alfred Russell Wallace lodged at Bryncoch Farm for two years to do a
paper on the flora and fauna in the Neath Valley and he studied the native Red Admiral at Bryncoch.
That was our tie badge for ten years until we changed this year For the blazer badge, that
incorporates the Red Admiral the parish church of St Matthew's and bowls.